LoRaWAN® is a mark used under license from the LoRa Alliance®. The LoRa® Mark is a trademark of Semtech Corporation or its subsidiaries.
Grove Wio-E5 embedded with Wio-E5 STM32WLE5JC, powered by ARM Cortex M4 ultra-low-power MCU core and Wio SX126x, is a wireless radio module supporting LoRa® and LoRaWAN® protocol on the EU868 & US915 frequency and (G)FSK, BPSK, (G)MSK, LoRa® modulations. Grove - Wio-E5 can endow your development boards' strong features of ultra-long transmitting range by easily plug and play with Grove connector on board.
As an upgrade of our old version - Grove - Long Range 868MHz - powered by RFM95 ultra-long-range Transceiver Module, Grove LoRa-E5 embedded with Wio-E5 STM32WLE5JC Module is a high-performance and easy-to-use wireless radio LoRa® module supporting LoRaWAN® protocol.
Wio-E5 LoRaWAN® STM32WLE5JC module is the major functional part integrated into Grove - Wio-E5. It is a LoRaWAN® module that embedded with ARM Cortex M4 ultra-low-power MCU core and Wio SX126x, as the world-first combo of LoRa® RF and MCU chip into one single tiny module, it supports (G)FSK, BPSK, (G)MSK, and LoRa® modulations, and is FCC, CE certified. (Learn more about Wio-E5 from Wio-E5 wiki)
More comparison between the Wio-E5 and RFM95 chip:
By connecting Grove - Wio-E5 to your development boards, your devices are able to communicate with and control Wio-E5 conveniently by AT command through UART connection. Grove LoRa-E5 will be a superior choice for IoT device development, testing, and long-distance, ultra-low power consumption IoT scenarios like smart agriculture, smart office, and smart industry. It is designed with industrial standards with a wide working temperature at -40℃ ~ 85℃, high sensitivity between -116.5 dBm and -136 dBm, and power output between 10 dBm and 22 dBm.
- Wio-E5 (STM32WLE5JC) embedded
- Support LoRaWAN® protocol on EU868/US915 frequency band
- Ultra-long transmitting range up to 10km (Ideal value in open space)
- Easy control by AT command via UART connection
- Rapid prototyping with plug-and-play Grove interfaces
- Ultra-low power consumption and high performance
Wio-E5 STM32WLE5JC (Datasheet)
MHF IPEX Connector
|Voltage Supply:||3.3V - 5V|
|Power Output:||Up to +20 dBm at 3.3V|
|Sensitivity||-116.5dBm ~ -136dBm|
|Modulation||LoRa®, (G)FSK, (G)MSK and BPSK|
|Current||Only 60uA in sleep mode|
|Working Temperature||-40℃ ~ 85℃|
|Grove - Wio-E5 PCBA *1|
|Grove Universal Cable*1|
Works for LoRaWAN® sensor nodes and any wireless communication application
IoT device testing and development
✨ Contributor Project
- Thanks for one of Seeed Studio's friend Andres to build the Grove - Wio-e5 library, providing multiple examples, suitable for Arduino boards like Arduino Nano 33 BLE Sense, and more importantly compatible with the XIAO ESP32S3 Sense.
- This will allow the user an easy, clear and safe interaction with the SeedStudio LoRa module Grove - Wio-E5 and hopefully be used as both an educational tool for those who are doing their first steps into LoRa as well as prepared for the ones looking for using this module in low-power projects.
1. Factroy AT Firmare
Wio-E5 series has a built-in AT command firmware, which supports LoRaWAN® Class A/B/C protocol and a wide frequency plan: EU868/US915/AU915/AS923/KR920/IN865. With this AT command firmware, developers can easily and quickly build their prototype or application.
The AT command firmware contains a bootloader for DFU and the AT application. The "PB13/SPI_SCK/BOOT" pin is used to control Wio-E5 to stay in the bootloader or jump to the AT application. When PB13 is HIGH, the module will jump to AT application after reset, with a default baud rate of 9600. When PB13 is LOW (press the "Boot" button on Wio-E5 Dev Board or Wio-E5 mini), the module will stay in the bootloader, and keep transmitting "C" character every 1S at baud rate 115200.
- Factory AT Firmware is programmed with RDP(Read Protection) Level 1, developers need to remove RDP first with STM32Cube Programmer. Note that regression RDP to level 0 will cause a flash memory mass to erase and the Factory AT Firmware can't be restored again.
- The "PB13/SPI_SCK/BOOT" pin on the Wio-E5 module is just a normal GPIO, not the "BOOT0" pin of the MCU. This "PB13/SPI_SCK/BOOT" pin is used in the bootloader of the Factory AT firmware, to decide to jump to APP or stay in bootloader(for DFU). The real "BOOT0" pin doesn't pinout to the module, so users need to be careful when developing the low-power applications.
2. Clock Configuration
TCXO power supply: PB0-VDD_TCXO
- 32.768KHz crystal oscillator
3. RF Switch
Wio-E5 module ONLY transmits through RFO_HP:
Receive: PA4=1, PA5=0
Transmit(high output power, SMPS mode): PA4=0, PA5=1
Examples and Demo.
Tech Support & Product Discussion
Thank you for choosing our products! We are here to provide you with different support to ensure that your experience with our products is as smooth as possible. We offer several communication channels to cater to different preferences and needs.