LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT
Seeed’s LTE CAT.1 Pi HAT is an open sourcecellular extension modem for Raspberry Pi, based on u-blox LARA-R2xx series. Itcompatible with Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ and later versions.
LTE CAT.1 Pi HAT is designed for LTE Category 1 networks and with 2G fallback(EU version only). Embedding common protocols, like TCP/UDP, HTTP.
LTE CAT.1 Pi HAT supports UART and USB interfaces. By UART, Raspberry Pi communicate with LTE CAT.1 Pi HAT via AT command without any special driver. It’s well suited for building prototyping rapidly.
|Product Version||Changes||Released Date|
|LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT(USA-AT&T)||Initial||Dec 2017|
|LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT(USA-VZW)||Initial||Dec 2017|
|LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT(Europe)||Initial||Dec 2017|
Compatible with Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ and later versions
LTE CAT.1 and support 2G fallback(EU version only)
UART and USB interface for communicate
Support Grove I2C and Digital connector
Protocols on cellular module
Embed TCP/UDP stack
Embed HTTP, FTP, SSL
Dual stack IPV4/IPV6
3GPP TS 27.007 , TS 27.005 standard AT command
- IoT gateway
- Data logger
- Vending machine
- Smart home devices
- Other scenario need cellular networks
- LTE CAT.1: U-blox LARA-R2xx series LTE CAT.1 module, please refer to u-blox LARA-R2 series product page for more information.
- Grove Port: 2 Grove I2C/Digital Port, connected to SDA_RPI, SCL_RPI, it can be used as I2C or GPIO port.
- Switcher: Control Grove port voltage as 5V or 3.3V
- USB Interface: It can be used to power up the LTE Cat.1 Pi HAT and raspberry together, and used for debug port as well. Please refer to FAQ Q1 about how to use as debug port.
- Battery Holder: MP2617 is used for battery power management. If the battery is not connected, the CHG led will flash by 6HZ frequency. It will be off when under charging and on when finish charging. The connector is JST2.0 standard.
- Lara-R2XX Reset button: Reset Lara-R2xx module.
- Lara-R2XX Power on button: Press 2 seconds to power on the Lara-R2xx module.
- Antenna: It includes 2 antennas, one is main and other is div. The main antenna is used for both sending and receiving signals. It must be connected. The div antenna is used for the receving only and to improve receiver sensitivity. It is optional.
- Rpi 40 pins: Refer to pinout.
- SIM card slot: Follow silk screen direction to plug LTE SIM card.
For the battery, we suggest 3.7V Li-ion battery and connect to JST2.0. Especially for Lara-R211(Europe) Pi HAT, it includes the GSM function with high power consumption. If there is no LTE signal around, the LTE CAT.1 Pi HAT also consumes a lot of power supply. So we highly suggest attach the battery.
|Pin Used||Python (BCM)||WiringPi GPIO||Name||P1 Pin Number||Name||WiringPi GPIO||Python (BCM)||Pin Used|
|3V3_RPI||3.3v DC Power||1||2||5v DC Power||5V_RPI|
|SDA_RPI||8||GPIO02 (SDA1, I2C)||3||4||5v DC Power||5V_RPI|
|SCL_RPI||9||GPIO03 (SCL1, I2C)||5||6||Ground||GND|
|3V3_RPI||3.3v DC Power||17||18||GPIO24||5||24||FREE|
|FREE||14||GPIO11 (SPI0 SCLK)||23||24||GPIO08 (SPI0_CS0)||10||FREE|
|FREE||19||24||GPIO19(SPI1 MISO)||35||36||GPIO16(SPI1 CS0)||27||16||CTS_RPI|
Now we have made three versions of the LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT. In addition to supporting different networks, they are almost the same. And you may pay attention that the only the Europe version support 2G net.
We use the Raspberry Pi3 with 2018-04-18 RASPBIAN STRETCH WITH DESKTOP for below demo.
- Step 1. Stack LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT on top of Raspberrry and connect the 2 antennas.
- Step 2. Connect the mouse, keyboard and monitor as well.
- Step 3. Power the Raspberry Pi.
- Step 1. Use dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt to enable Raspberry Pi3/Pi4 UART0.
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1 to bottom of the config.txt. it should look like this.
[all] #dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt enable_uart=1
- Step 2. Disable the system serivce to use the UART0.
sudo systemctl disable hciuart
Pi3-disable-bt disables the Bluetooth device and restores UART0/ttyAMA0 to GPIOs 14 and 15. It is also necessary to disable the system service that initialises the modem so it doesn't use the UART: sudo systemctl disable hciuart.
- Step 3. Delete the console=serial0,115200 in cmdline.txt.
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
Then delete console=serial0,115200 from the string.
- Step 4. Reboot the Raspberry Pi3/Pi4
- Step 5. Run below commands to run the demo
cd ~ git clone https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/ublox_lara_r2_pi_hat.git cd ublox_lara_r2_pi_hat sudo python setup.py install cd test sudo python test01.py
- Step 6. Here is the output from terminal.
pi@raspberrypi:~/Desktop/ublox_lara_r2_pi_hat/examples $ sudo python test01.py 40-pin GPIO header detected Enabling CTS0 and RTS0 on GPIOs 16 and 17 rts cts on waking up... module name: LARA-R211 RSSI: 3
Q1: Can we communicate with LTE Cat 1 Pi HAT directly with PC?
A1: Yes, there are 2 ways. One is USB and other is UART port.
- For USB, Please use the USB cable to connect the Pi HAT with PC directly. Then download and install the u-blox Cellular USB_Windows Driver, v2.0. The COM3 and COM4 are used for AT command in device manager. We can use any Serial COM monitor tool to run AT commands or use evaluation software m-center for Windows, version 1.11.0 for windows.
- For the UART port, Please use the usb to serial adaptor, follow below connection and use the baudrate as 115200. We can use any Serial COM monitor tool to run AT commands.
|USB to UART Adaptor||LTE Cat1 Pi HAT|
|NA||Pin11-RTS_RPI Connect to Pin9-GND|
Please do connect the RTS_RPI to GND as marked as red at above picture if we use the UART port for communication.
Q2: Do you have AT command list?
A2: Here is u-blox-CEL_ATCommands.
Q3: What is differences between the Lara-R203/204/211?
A3: Please refer to u-blox LARA-R2 series product page.
Q4: How to register to AT&T network for LARA-203?
A4: Please run below commands.
AT+COPS=2 AT+UMNOCONF=2 AT+COPS=0
You can try below command to verify AT&T network connection.
AT+UPSD=0,1,"AT&T" AT+UPSDA=0,3 AT+UPING="www.google.com"
Q5: How to register to Verizon network for LARA-204?
A5: Please run below commands.
AT+COPS=2 AT+UMNOCONF=3 AT+COPS=0
You can try below command to verify Verizon network connection.
AT+UPSD=0,1,"vzwinternet" AT+UPSDA=0,3 AT+UPING="www.google.com"
- [PDF] LTE Cat.1 Pi HAT Schematic
- [PDF] u-blox-CEL_ATCommands
- [PDF] LARA-R2_DataSheet
- [PDF] LARA-R2_SysIntegrManual
- [PDF] AT-Commands Examples AppNote
Face Recognization Smart Lock with LTE Pi HAT: Face recognition is becoming more and more widely used, we can use it to make a smart lock.
Please submit any technical issue into our forum.